Safari Push Notifications on OS X Mavericks

Safari Push Notifications on OS X Mavericks

OS X Mavericks includes a great new feature to receive push notifications from websites. That's right. I said websites. I was pretty amazed when I heard about it back in June but I had absolutely no idea how they'd work. How would I choose which websites could send me these notifications. Would it be automatically based on my bookmarks and top sites? Or would the website have to add some sort of link from where I could enable push notifications. The integration of web and native features intrigued me. I figured the websites would have to add the option to send push notifications since it seemed like the only logical way to do this.

And so it is. As it turns out, when you visit websites (on Safari) which have enabled push notification, they automatically ask you if you'd like to receive push notifications from them. You simply have to choose to and they'll send them on their own even when Safari is not open. It's that simple.

I don't know of many websites apart from nytimes.com and nba.com that have enabled these yet but most websites seem to be quite eager to hop aboard and enable these soon.

To change your notification preference (for example, if a website sends annoying updates very often, you can always choose to disable it later by going into Safari Preferences > Notifications.